Oh I will Not Sleep In This Bed of Lies. Toss me out and turn in.
There is nothing better than being able to turn on, plug in and tune out of everything else except what you are working on at the moment. Ahhh...music. My sole companion as I work.
On to a more interesting topic. There is a passage at the end of a short story that I read the other night. I had read this story before, but I had forgotten how it ended. The ending has made an impression on me though. May be you have heard of it? Two guesses on the title. Here is an excerpt from the ending, "..nothing strange here but yourself.. Time, which destroys and renews all things, has dilapidated your house, and placed us here. You have suffered many years under an illusion. The tempest which you profanely defied…has at length subsided; but you will never see home, for your house and wife have all disappeared. ..You were cut off from the last age, and you can never be fitted for the present.” Wow. To sum this story up in a word, it is nothing less than powerful. There is this murky grayness throughout the story. I find myself asking deeper questions, like: Where does fact merge with myth? There are no clear boundaries when everyday, commonplace occurrences lead to phenomenal sightings of a man running away from a small tempest looming overhead. The main character is most certainly a depicted as displaced person in his actions in “wringing” his hands and the “incredulous” look. He also shows his displacement verbally. He couldn’t quite comprehend the facts he saw before him as he asked the narrator “..the rivers, too, changed their courses, as the cities have changed places?” Even at the end of the story he gropes mentally with the comprehending his circumstances. This is hell on earth. At least it is to me. Who hasn’t experienced feelings similar to this character at some time or another? Everyone has had to travel out of their comfort zone in some way. May be you moved to a new state by yourself and had to find your way around on your own or had the courage to explore a state on the opposite coast by yourself or had to take a hard look at who you are to find your real self or have decided to marry someone abroad and make a new life there without the comfort of knowing you are a state or three away from family and friends. What comes to my mind to describe this? Difficult. Scary. New. What is not explained in this story though is the wonderful way a few heroes/heroines in similar situations as this pitifully displaced person seem to rise above their circumstances and embrace hell in order to make a new heaven. So I raise my glass to all the heroes/heroines in my world. May you continue to have the courage to do what others cannot.

1 Comments:
No guesses on the title?! Ok. It was a stretch. The story is from my American Short Stories textbook. The title is, "Peter Rugg, The Missing Man" by William Austin.
Oh yeah. Almost forgot. Upon demand from my slightly paranoid but still much loved E, all references to work have been removed. I am pretty upset about it because I have gone to GREAT lengths to make my blog as anonymous as possible. How am I supposed to vent if I can't write about it?! I feel my blood pressure creeping up...
Post a Comment
<< Home