Friday, March 31, 2006

I Know A Place.

Hello Everyone! Feel like visiting Ireland today? I do. I just loved this spot in Ireland named Ross Errilly Friary. It was so peaceful. There were sheep all over the countryside and there was nothing but green as far as the eye could see. Every few minutes you would hear a lamb bleat, “Ba! Ba-a-a!”

How about a little history to go with your morning coffee? This Friary was founded around 1351 by Sir Raymond de Burgo for the Franciscans. Of all the monastic ruins I visited while in Ireland, it is one of the best preserved next to The Rock of Cashell and Glendalough. The friary is located near
Headford, which I was told by our tour guide, was roughly 25 km “nort” of Galway. The cloister appeared to be in good condition, as far as ruins go. One of the most interesting areas to explore was the refectory kitchen with fish tank and bakery. There is also a well preserved stone carving in a sealed entryway, but you have to search intelligently to find it as it is located on a non-existent story. I just climbed up and used the ledge on the second floor to walk on the stone wall over to a blocked entryway and BINGO! The little stone statue was waiting for me. What was harder to find than the stone statue? The top tower entrance! “T’is possible ta go up an view Corrib County.” or so the tour guide said. I searched and searched but I could not find the entryway in time before we left.

Will have to take my E there and exlpore it again one day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home