A Brush With Rush. Ignorance Is Dangerous. Voting Woes.
Ok, this is old news but I still have to comment because it deserves one. WOW! It takes a very small-minded person to actually pick on someone who has a debilitating disease like Parkinson’s. Ignorance is not an excuse. Rush definitely stepped over the line when he blasted Michael J. Fox and made fun of his overly exaggerated movements in some controversial campaign ads. Hello?! This is what the disease actually looks like for people who either can’t afford drugs or for whom the disease has advanced further than drugs can help. MJF was trying to demonstrate that. Shame on you, Rush! Shame on the narrow-minded fools employed with/by you! They are paid to research this stuff so someone needs to be fired for allowing and making senseless personal attacks of this nature. Just stick to the issues! Many have stated that it was done to bring attention to him. Even so, the attention it has brought to Rush may have been the ultimate motive, but is the negative press worth it? It could cost him some of his fan base in the long run. I guess I should be congratulating him instead. Smart move, "r-tard". Rush’s actions just further prove that intelligence without wisdom means nothing.
Ignorance is really dangerous. All of the amendments put on the ballot in SC passed. There were so many people that were unprepared. I waited in line with people who read the amendments in line while waiting to vote. I glanced at the flyer. It was full of legalese. I listened as a former NY cop tried to explain the amendments to a bumpkin who stood there with a glazed look on her face. She was totally absorbed in the fluffy legal words that were taken completely out of context by the former officer. I wanted to laugh, I wanted to interject, I wanted to correct, but I smiled and remained silent. If I had said something, it would have been ugly and condescending, which is not the way to handle situations like that. His understanding of NY law does not apply to SC law and two if you use a big legal word, Mr. Former-Copper-Copper-Crime-Stopper, then use it and explain it correctly.
I have the voting woes. Here are the amendments that passed, which should not have. Amendment 1 concerned what constituted legal marriage. People seemed to center this vote on morality and religion rather than the constitutional freedom of equality that it negated. I am in no position to dictate morality or equality to people of same sex or common law arrangements. People around here always cite Leviticus and focus on the religious aspects of marriage from the Old Testament, cleverly omitting the actions of Christ and what it means. Whatever. The hypocrisy is evident, picking and choosing what they will from the Bible to defend their bigotries. I do not presume to know the will of God and I will not allow myself to be a moral bigot on this issue, so of course I voted no. Amendment 2a & b concerned the legislative sessions not having to meet at the same time. HELLO? BUMPKINS, PLEASE WAKE UP!!! Both houses need to convene at the same time in order to “efficiently conduct legislative business” as quoted from the LWV of SC. Approving this amendment will allow the House to recess for up to 30 days without the consent of the other body. This could lead to stalemates in the General Assembly. I voted no on these two for obvious reasons that were not so obvious to the ignorant masses. The last amendment that passed seemed to blow my mind as to why it passed. Amendment 4 concerned the evaluation of real property. “This amendment will limit increases in the value of a parcel of real property for purposes of imposing the property tax to no more than 15% every 5 years after the current value of the property has been adjusted: 1) to reflect improvements made to the parcel; 2) to reflect a decline in the value of the parcel; and 3) to reflect the value of the parcel when the ownership of the property changes as the General Assembly by law defines such changes. Until now, counties had the option of imposing assessment caps, but if this legislation passes it will be uniform statewide. What the General Assembly was trying to address was real, but the solution was not the best option. There are some households for whom rapidly escalating property values have created a cash flow problem that their income is not keeping pace with their property taxes as the value of their property increases. This amendment does not address the relief needed for low-income housing; it primarily benefits wealthier property owners with rapidly increasing home values.” So again…how did this amendment pass?! Thanks to all of last-minute amendment readers there is still a very real problem with property taxes.
Those who do not vote, do not bother to even comment on this post. I am NOT interested in entertaining opinions from the decidedly uninformed voiceless mass. I am so just ticked off right now.
Note: Any information presented in quotes comes directly from information obtained on the League of Women Voters website, which is a nonpartisan organization that encourages the informed and active participation of citizens in government, works to increase understanding of public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home